A platform to discover Indian contemporary art, enjoy and perhaps buy. All artworks displayed are for sale. Don't hesitate to enquire !

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Ravi Agarwal

My childhood self, located in a family of women, was a multiple of differing types of negotiations, but many based on my being a biological male. Growing up with a sister who is a confirmed feminist, this was always forefronted, even as I struggled to relate with aspects of myself which are considered ‘feminine.’ My maleness, its ‘gaze’ and the inherent power relationship which societally exists between the sexes was presupposed and imprinted into my psyche, even as I resisted being stereotyped into my being a ‘male.’ Where lies my experience of myself, and how much did it belong to my being a male, in spite of ‘femininities’ within, can I even ever know?

(Text by Ravi Agarwal)

No comments:

Post a Comment